Lean Hogs Futures prices have reached a record high today of 118.575 (at the time of this post). Lean Hog Futures haven’t ever been this high. See the Daily and Weekly Lean Hogs charts below. What goes up must come down, so we will be monitoring this market over the next few days to see what transpires.
Yesterday, March 10th 2014, Copper Futures reached a low of 2.9955. Copper Futures prices haven’t been below 3.00 since 2010 making the low reached yesterday a multiyear low. We will be watching this market carefully over the next few days to see what develops. Stay tuned.
We have been long March Corn futures since 445 (see: Corn Futures Prices Spiked Today), and today, March 5th, 2014, prices shot up to 481 and are current hovering around 478 at the time of this post. Our original Stop-Loss was at 437.25, but we contacted our broker today and had him move our Stop-Loss to 446, just below the support level shown in the Daily March Corn chart below. Since we are long from 445, if we get stopped out we will have risked nothing on this trade (and may even make a few bucks).
We are long May Wheat with our 605 Call option we paid $862 for. May Wheat futures spiked to 644.50 before closing at 631.50 today. The 50% Retracement level on the Daily May Wheat chart was 635.38 which was surpassed today. Our next target is the 50% Retracement level on the Weekly Wheat chart of 748.74 (see our previous post: Going Long Wheat Futures on Breakout)
Our 605 May Call option closed today worth $2193.75 If we were to sell this option now, we would profit $2193.75 – $862 (cost) = $1331.72 net profit. That’s 154% ROI. Since we still have time on this option (it doesn’t expire until 4/25/14) and there is still a lot of upside potential, we are going to hold this option a little longer.
We have been long March Corn from 445 with our stop-loss set at 437.25. Today, prices spiked up to 470.50 before closing at 464.00.
Looking at the Weekly Corn chart below, our target is the 50% Retracement level of 562.75. We could move our stop-up to the support level of 446.50 to lock in some profits, but since that is just barely above where we entered the market (at 445) that we are going to wait until prices move up some more.
We had purchased a March Corn Call option at a 445 Strike Price (see our post: We are Long Corn After Breakout Above 439 As Of 12/12/13) which expires today, 2/21/14. Prices as of today are 453.5 (at the time of this post). Since our March Corn Call option is worth a little less than we paid (we paid $437.50 back on 12/12/13, and as of now it’s worth ~$425.00 if we sold it, since there is no more time value left on this option) we are instead going to exercise our March Corn Call option and place our Stop-Loss at 437.25 (just below the support level on the Daily Corn chart below).
If prices move up from the current level of ~453, we will gradually move up our Stop-Loss to lock in more profits. If prices move down below 437.50, we will have only lost our original investment in this option of $437.50 plus $400 (445 Strike Price minus 437.25 = 7.75 cents X $50/cent) if we get stopped out. That’s a total risk of $837.50 in a market already trending up with huge upside potential.
The April Call option we purchased (1265 strike price) for $2930.00 (see our post: Going Long Gold on Breakout) today is worth $6200.
We sold our April Call option and took the $3660 in profit. Yes, prices could have gone up to 1488 or higher (see the 50% Retracement level according to the Weekly Gold chart in our post linked above), but whenever we can make triple-digit ROI gains in just a few weeks, we like to pocket the profits early while there is still time value left on our option. Prices already surpassed the 50% Retracement level on the Daily Gold chart of ~1272 anyway. We can always re-enter the Gold market at a later date.
The May Call option we purchased (2140 strike price) for $2705.00 (see our post: Going Long Silver on Breakout Above Sideways Channel) today is worth $6200.
We sold our May Call option and took the $3489 in profit. Yes, prices could have gone up to 24.00 or higher (see our previous post about how high we anticipate prices to go), but we don’t leave over 100% profit on the table unnecessarily (Remember: 30% ROI would be considered great in any other investment. If we can get triple-digit percentage gains in just a few days with our commodity futures and options trades, there is no need to get greedy!)
We owned a March Sugar #11 Call option (see our post here: We Are Long Sugar When Prices Broke Above 16.48 Today) that expired worthless on 2/18/14 yesterday. Total loss: $268.80 plus broker commission. Then today, prices spiked above the #2 point of 16.58 in the wide 1-2-3 bottom formation (see Daily Sugar#11 chart below).
May Sugar #11 is currently at 16.49 at the time of this post.
We knew prices were going to move, but we missed it by what looks like a few days or so. We are going to re-enter the Sugar market with a May option which expires in April, giving us a couple months. We are very confident in prices heading higher towards the more conservative 50% Retracement level of 17.30 based on the most recent major move according to the Daily Sugar #11 chart – see below. Typically, a wide 1-2-3 formation means a stronger move when prices break through the #2 point as they did today. Therefore, we look to the Weekly Sugar chart (see below) to see where this more optimistic 50% Retracement level would be.
We purchased a 1675 May Call option for $828.80 which expires 4/15/14. That’s just 2 strike prices out of the money and we are willing to pay a premium to get into this market at the 16.75 level. Margin on a full contract is approx. $3000, so for a small move higher we will be in the money and will have only risked $828.80 (less than 1/3rd of the margin requirement). If prices move to the 50% Retracement level of 23.28 (see Weekly Sugar chart below), we can make a very nice ROI on this trade.
If we consider the last major move to be from the high of 36.08 (see left-most high reached on the week of 2/4/2011 on Weekly Sugar #11 chart below) that puts the 50% Retracement at 25.39. That would be our next target if prices continue past 23.28.
One strategy would be to simply exercise our option and go long a contract and put our stop-loss near our strike price of 16.75 (above to lock in some profits, or at or below 16.75 to limit our risk capital to a comfortable amount. We’ll have to see how prices move over the next couple months to see which strategy is most viable.
As we discussed in our post: Silver Moving in Sideways Channel, we have been waiting for a break above or below the sideways channel that Silver Futures have been stuck in for the past 3 months. See the Daily and Intraday Silver Charts below.
Today, prices spiked up to 21.32, clearing breaking though the top side of the channel shown in the Daily Silver Chart below. Therefore, we are going long Silver Futures with the purchase of a 21.40 Call Option for a premium of $2,705.00. This option expires on 4/24/14.
We anticipate prices to move up to the same degree as they moved sideways. Therefore, we are looking at an upside target of approximately 24.00.
Select a commodity category